Clean Power Lake County is a grassroots campaign supported by community, faith, health, and environmental groups who are dedicated to building a healthy, clean energy future in Lake County, Illinois—based on clean air, clean water, clean energy, and a revitalized lakefront in Waukegan.
Clean Power Lake County isn’t just saying “no” to coal and fossil fuels. It’s saying “yes” to clean energy, sustainable economic development, and local job creation.
Clean Power Lake County goals:
- Secure a retirement date for the coal-fired power plant in Waukegan.
- Establish a just transition plan for local workers, including retraining for clean energy jobs.
- Collaborate with stakeholders in productive conversations about the sale and reuse of the lakefront site, including necessary remediation of coal ash ponds on the site.
- Identify opportunities for energy efficiency and clean energy projects that can create jobs for local residents and tax revenue for Waukegan and Lake County.
Partners of the Clean Power Lake County Campaign
- Agg’in Tribe
- Christ Episcopal Church of Waukegan
- The Environmental Law & Policy Center
- The Exchange Club of North Chicago
- Faith in Place
- Father Gary Graf Center
- Incinerator Free Lake County
- Knights of Columbus
- Lake County Bike Project
- League of Women Voters-Lake County
- Moms Clean Air Force-Illinois
- Most Blessed Trinity Parish of Waukegan
- NAACP-Lake County Branch
- Organizing for Action-Lake/McHenry Chapter
- Respiratory Health Association
- Sierra Club Woods & Wetlands Group
- Tufo Art
- Waukegan Community Church